Friday, October 08, 2004

Lou Dobbs: Rather Mistaken

I don't watch CNN much anymore, in fact, hardly at all. Every time I turn it on, it takes about two minutes, or even less than that, and the liberal slant finds its way into every story. The show I always seem to cut in on is Lou Dobbs Tonight. I don't even know what time it comes on, I don't make a point to watch it. Anyway, without fail, every time I've turned on his show, he is going on and on about outsourcing and the "middle class squeeze". Watching his show, you would think that it's only a matter of time before every one in America loses their job to some foreigner and your curling up in some cardboard box on the street, and it's all due to evil corporations and Republicans. Well, that's ridiculous. The truth is, Lou Dobbs and the Democrats have hyped outsourcing way out of proportion, creating a misconception that it's hurting the economy, because when you do that, it scares people and because it makes a good soundbite. I noticed today, someone is finally calling Dobbs on the facts. A director at the Cato Institute has dubbed Dobbs "The Dan Rather of Financial Journalism." I'd say that's about right.

By the way, foreign companies "outsource" too...by sending jobs to the U.S. We call it "insourcing." Read here.

No comments: